(The preferred form of my last name is Stössinger. Stoessinger is what I use in environments where the umlaut won’t survive.)
Coming from a background in text and the humanities, I studied multimedia design at Burg Giebichenstein HKD Halle, Germany, and type design in Zurich (CAS Type Design) and The Hague (TypeMedia MA). I ran a studio for graphic design and typography in Basel for five years before relocating to the Netherlands in 2013, where I founded Typologic.
My work has been awarded the Certificate of Excellence from the International Society of Typographic Designers, the iF communication design award, the Out of Box Award, & the Award of Excellence from Communication Arts, and exhibited in the Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, Russia, Australia, & the United States. I have spoken at conferences and events including TYPO Berlin, ATypI, Ampersand, Kerning Conference, TypeAmsterdam, & Design First New York, and taught classes in screen typography (FH Dresden) and Python scripting (ésad Amiens).
Selected Writing & Commentary
- Dissecting the Classics: A Design Round Table, Contemporary Standard 2016
- Centaur / Zilvertype [contributions to “Favorites of 1915” feature], Alphabettes.org 2016
- Nina (sometimes, despite everything) Loves Bad Design, Alphabettes.org 2016
- Women in Type Design, FontShop Blog 2015
- Typeface Review: Dala Prisma, Typographica 2015 / republished in: Linda Kudrnovská (ed.), 365 Typo, Paris 2015
- Sketching out of my comfort zone: A type design experiment, Typographica 2013 / republished in: Tova Rabinowitz Deer, Exploring Typography, 2nd ed. Boston 2015
- Typeface Review: Telefon, Typographica 2013
- Hand und Holz [on the work of graphic artist Giuseppe Haas-Triverio], in: Bin ein Landschafter, Alpnach (Switzerland) 2013
- Deeper into Type, The Manual 2012
- Die armenische Schrift: Im Bann des »Aybuben«, Typografie.info 2011
- Das gefügte Zeichen, SIGNA 2006